This opportunity will involve working as part of a JV team on the Nuclear Technical Support Provider (NTSP) framework. This 7-year framework, with the option of a further 3 years, will deliver specialist nuclear technical services valued between £250-million to £400-million to support DIO, Navy Command and other MOD organisations.
The framework will support the Clyde Infrastructure Programme (CIP) and wider Royal Navy and defence requirements. Its primary focus will be on delivering the refurbishment and upgrade of critical infrastructure at HMNB Clyde.
The opportunity will require candidates to be client-facing as well as being involved in the day-to-day design and management of projects. It is an exciting opportunity for an experienced design engineer to further develop their career within a leading building design consultancy. They will work under the direction of the project lead and provide discipline leadership to the team on technical issues.
Energy and Carbon are an essential aspect of this position and with the rise in importance of decarbonising the built environment, improving air quality, and implementing energy efficient design solutions, our team is expanding to deliver sustainable solutions for our growing portfolio of satisfied clients.
Our focus is on developing our staff to realise their full potential, with development plans geared to individual needs and abilities. This role will allow development of existing technical skills as well as providing potential to expand digital skills and project management.
Our Practice is committed to developing our ways of working using emerging Digital Technology and the global reach offered by an organisation of our size and capability. Our ideal individual will bring strong technical skills to the role, as well as an enquiring mind able to contribute to the growth of our digital practice, and the ability to lead and manage large and diverse delivery teams, locally and remotely.
- Ensuring an understanding of project briefs
- Design and specification of all Electrical Building Services systems - power, earthing, lighting, life safety, telecoms, security, access control, lifts, lightning protection etc.
- Carry out (and managing of others), in the production of detailed calculations using industry standard software tools including Excel, IES, Hevacomp, in-house developed tools, etc.
- Preparing technical specifications using NBS
- Collaborate with our BIM team to prepare models and drawings, with a working understanding of Autodesk Revit – note experience of Microstation (& AECOsim) is beneficial
- Representing Atkins at meetings with clients and contractors
- Site surveys, inspections and monitoring of site works
- Report and technical note writing
- Maintaining complete records and archives to company standards
- Adherence to all quality, environmental and governance processes
- Managing own workload, updating forward plan of workload regularly and working to time allocations
- Managing elements of project delivery and an understanding of budget costings
- Reviewing progress, including reporting any anomalies and changes of scope to the project lead
- Contribute to the technical development of junior staff
- Undertake financial management of project related activities
- Assist in development of new clients or opportunities for the company
- Degree qualified, or equivalent qualification, in Building Services Engineering / Electrical Engineering or related subjects
- Chartered Engineer with CIBSE or IET
- Proficient in energy reduction methods and approaches to decarbonising new and existing buildings
- Knowledge of energy related contracts and funding mechanisms such as SALIX
- Understanding of energy and carbon related data capture and analytics
- Familiarity with the principles of building physics such as passive design solutions and fabric first approaches
- Competent in designing for measurement and verification, including experience of commissioning and post installation evaluation of performance
- Good level of computer literacy in a range of digital tools such as IES thermal modelling package, Navisworks, Hevacomp, One Click, NBS and Microsoft packages
- Experience working in a design consultancy and/or experience of working within a contractor design environment is essential
- Have a detailed knowledge of appropriate technical standards
- Able to take charge of project deliverables, make decisions, act on own initiative and operate in a pro-active way
- Good report writing skills, experience of making presentations to and attending meetings with client is essential
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.