Senior Project Manager
Haringey Council is one of 32 Councils in London. Haringey is an extremely diverse, vibrant borough and the Council has set clear ambitious objectives through its borough plan to make Haringey a better place to live, encourage investment and create opportunities that all can share. Haringey’s vision for the future is one of sustainable growth, in housing and jobs and on helping our residents and businesses take advantage of that growth. The capital construction project delivery programme of £250m+ aims to deliver world class education environments for all our children and young people, outstanding civic amenities, high quality homes and a reduced carbon footprint.
We have huge ambitions for Haringey. As the shape of local government continues to change, we are determined to rise to the challenge and find new ways to ensure that our residents enjoy the best opportunities in life. Working at Haringey gives you the opportunity to play a part in meeting those ambitions on behalf of everyone who calls the borough their home. Be part of the change transforming Haringey.
About the role
As part of a very busy ‘Place’ Delivery Team, you will be responsible for directly delivering and managing Major Works Projects Managers in all aspects of project management from RIBA 0 – 6, predominantly working on ‘Place’ themed projects that promote safe, clean green spaces for connected communities where people can lead active and healthy lives. There will also be opportunities to undertake ‘People’ related projects such as improving and/or expanding our education estate for children and young people to achieve their potential.
You will be part of the wider Major Projects Delivery Team which is an inclusive and very diverse team to work within. We celebrate our differences and play to our collective strengths. The environment is fast paced, often demanding and no two days are the same. If you thrive in active, vibrant spaces, are highly outcome driven, are resilient under pressure plus have a great sense of humour, then the Major Projects Team is the right fit for you.
A successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following:
- You must have a construction related qualification.
- You must be educated to degree level in a construction or project management related field (or five years or more relevant experience).
- You will have a Project management related qualification, such as Prince2 Foundation or Association of Project Managers Foundation certification (Practitioner preferred) or demonstrable career development activities.
- A track record of successfully project managing the delivery of medium to large value (£1,000.000 to £10,000,000 or more), medium to high complex construction related capital projects. This should include experience in planning, managing, and monitoring projects to deliver desired outcomes within specified time, quality and budget parameters.
- A good knowledge and understanding of project and programme issues within the public sector.
- A broad knowledge and understanding of education and property issues within the public sector.
- A broad knowledge of cost planning, cost control and construction technology.
- Knowledge and understanding of procurement methods within construction.
- Understanding, knowledge, and ability to follow guidelines that ensure compliance to Health and Safety at Work, Data Protection, and other statutory requirements.
- A track record of deploying excellent problem-solving and negotiation skills in working with partners, consultants, contractors, and stakeholders to deliver the Council’s desired objectives in a capital projects delivery context.
- Experience of commissioning and managing consultants and construction contractors in relation to feasibility and options, development, design, cost and construction, and ensuring that commissions are delivered effectively.
- Experience of managing capital budgets, ensuring that financial records and systems are maintained, that budget allocations are controlled, and of achieving value for money and identifying opportunities for cost savings.
Working for Haringey
At Haringey Council we are committed to creating a workplace culture where all our people feel valued, included, and able to be their best at work, and we recognise the benefits of a diverse workforce so welcome applications from all ethnicities and communities so that we continue to make a difference to our residents and community.
Our benefits package includes a generous leave entitlement, potential hybrid working opportunities, health and wellbeing support, a generous local government pension scheme and a range of discount schemes across leisure and culture that provide both financial and money-saving discounts.