37 HOURS A WEEK 07:40 am - 3:45 pm Monday - Thursday 7:40 am - 3:15 pm on Friday Pay rate: £16.73
Your new company
If you are well experienced in arboriculture and are based in London this may be the role for you.
Your new role
As a conservation worker for the City of London, your role will contribute to the protection and conservation of Epping Forest as a unique open space for the recreation and enjoyment of the public through the effective and efficient implementation of the Forest Management Plan - in particular those aspects relating to arboriculture, tree safety and veteran trees.
Your duties will involve carrying general tree and woodland management and the use of rope and harness and other specialist tools such as chainsaws, wood chippers, stump grinders, operation of tractors and more. Chemicals will also be used to control vegetation. You will be expected to maintain the equipment and machinery used in a sensible and secure manner with health and safety as a top priority.
All work must be carried out according to risk assessments and industry good practice.
You are required to work along the local community as well as other Epping Forest staff and inform the general public about the management of the forest, both informally whilst carrying out work and at events and guided works.
What you'll need to succeed
- Demonstrable wide range of arboricultural skills, including tree climbing, pruning and operation of relevant equipment including MEWPs
- Lead climber level of experience with 2 years post qualification experience
- Ability to read and interpret maps, plans and other written instructions
- Ability to keep basic written records
- Able and willing to carry out physical work in all weathers and variety of terrain
Tree climbing and MEWP operation,Crown reduction, pollarding and thinning,Sectional felling and dismantling,Tree felling,
- Proven experience of practical arboricultural work, to include:
5.Use of wood-chipper, stump grinder & brush-cutter
Desirable experience and qualifications
- Recognised training (LANTRA or equivalent) in the operation of brush cutters and stump grinders.
- Certificate of Competence in Pesticide Application (NPTC PA1 and PA6 or equivalent).
- Further NPTC Chainsaw or Arboricultural Certificates of Competence (e.g. Level 3 Award in Felling and Processing Trees Over 380mm)
- NPTC Certificate of Competence (or equivalent) in tractor operation.
- Knowledge of wildlife legislation as it applies to arboriculture (particularly relating to bats and birds).
- Knowledge of (and interest in) veteran trees and their conservation requirements
- Level 2 Award in Safe Use of a Powered Pole Pruner
What you'll get in return
The chance to work in a friendly local community.
Pay rate: £16.73
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.