Your new company
A multi-disciplinary design, engineering and project delivery company who have been delivering award-winning design and engineering services across the UK for over 60 years are recruiting a Senior Electrical Engineer to work within the building services team in Motherwell. With multiple offices throughout the UK & Europe, you will be joining a business with decades of experience in delivering flexible and energy efficient building designs from research labs and offices to hospitals, schools and airports.
Your new role
Working closely with the Principal Engineer, as a key member of the Electrical services design team, you will play an integral role in the development of an industry leading team.
- Design and specify all aspects of Electrical building services in accordance with current guidelines, standards and regulations
- Maintain a knowledge of current issues related to general construction and specifically Electrical building services guidelines, standards and regulations
- Contribute to the design planning, resourcing and fee planning of specific project teams
- Contribute to the development of the Electrical services department as required
Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Support & lead the delivery of Electrical services scope of work across multiple projects, as part of a multi discipline design team.
- Carry out any or all stages of Electrical design from concept to completion as required by the project.
- Support or lead the preparation of enquiries for potential major projects.
- Support multi-disciplinary design teams where required.
- Report on project performance to Principal Engineer.
- Actively contribute to the development of the department.
- Carry out technical design reviews / critiques of projects in progress.
- Support the design planning, resourcing and fee planning of specific project teams
- Participate in effective presentations to external organisations, customers and peer groups
- Contribute to bids by providing specialist knowledge and project history
- Prepare for internal design reviews
- Undertake design for a wide range of project types and sizes
- Take a flexible approach to the delivery of design solutions
- Assist in the training and development of the design team and provide support in their professional development
- Support the development of junior staff and act as a mentor
- Provide feedback on the performance of the department from a technical and operational perspective
- Develop relationships with, and drive the use of, preferred suppliers
- Manage resources to ensure fee control and programme delivery
- Produce project cost of further works and resource plans
- Attend and present in-house design courses and seminars
- Keep up to date with design trends / competitor awareness / design techniques
What you'll need to succeed
- Degree qualified in electrical engineering/building services
- Ideally chartered or willing to work towards this
- Proven track record in Electrical services design, in particular the following market sectors:
- Transportation, including rail, underground and airports
- Commercial and mixed use
- Public sector, including education, defence, healthcare, Labs and custodial
- Proven track record of project delivery, together with notable projects across a variety of sectors (including science and technology, nuclear, and waste and environmental), major local developments and multi disciplinary work
- Strong demonstrable communication and interpersonal skills, particularly the ability to influence and negotiate both internally and externally with an open and inclusive style
- Fully conversant with technical and legislation requirements for Electrical services equipment and installation design and management
- Ability to demonstrate a proven track record of delivering design studies and working systems
- Demonstrate the technical capability and communication skills to support a project definition
- Ability to develop designs from RIBA 0 through to 4
- Experienced in managing external design and vendors organisations
- Ability to understand and approve technical calculations performed by junior engineering staff
- Have a good appreciation of business to ensure commercial requirement to ensure gross margin targets are achieved
- Experience of designing to achieve BREEAM ratings
- Use of Dialux, Amtec and Revit
What you'll get in return
Working at this practice means a chance to make your mark on some of the most exciting design and engineering projects in their sectors. Whatever your discipline, you'll be alongside some of the most talented people in the industry. An attractive salary and benefits package including:
- Company car or cash allowance
- Up to 6% matched contributory pension plan
- Flexible working options (currently working 1 day in office)
- Life assurance scheme
- 25 days annual leave plus ability to buy additional leave
- Discount scheme (including gym membership, mobile phones etc)
- Family friendly policies
- Employee assistance
- Professional development
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.