Civil Engineer job in Birmingham specialising in Highway Structures.
Your new company
This organisation provide design and other support services to customers across the whole of the country. They are looking to support the Structures Team with the addition of a Civil Engineer.
Your new role
You will work within the Structures Design Team providing effective support and assistance to your Design Team Leader on a range of schemes, which are based across the UK in a variety of locations. Alongside project delivery you will have line management responsibilities for a small team. You will be providing technical support and direction to Graduates, Assistant and Civil Engineers together with experienced and less experienced CAD users. Your day to day duties will include:
- Drive effective health and safety practices
- Lead on the delivery of schemes designs as well as providing support to the Design Team Leader within the design team on various design duties including:
- Planning, programming and cost estimation
- Carry out site surveys, inspections and supervision of junior colleagues on site
- Prepare technical reports (e.g. AIP, Feasibility/Options Reports, Assessment Reports and other technical documents)
- All aspect of structures design and assessment
- Reviewing design drawings
- Production of Specifications
- Supporting development of Engineers and Technicians
- All aspects of CDM compliance
- Manage and co-ordinate team utilisation and productivity escalating issues as appropriate
- Produce Safe Systems of Work
- Ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards
- Work to programme to deliver specified designs on time
- Prepare robust fee estimates and take through governance approvals. Once approved ensure team are aware of the budget and understand how to best deliver to budget driving client value on each project.
- Effectively manage change control and client expectations throughout delivery
- Represent the business stream in multi-disciplined project teams
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with the client and other relevant stakeholders
What you'll need to succeed
You are likely to be familiar with one or more structural analysis packages such as LUSAS or superSTRESS and associated software. A good working knowledge of BIM and its application would be an advantage. You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate subject. You have Chartered or Incorporated status held with an appropriate professional body. You are able to demonstrate developed experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, probably gained in a Civil Engineer role or equivalent. You are able to demonstrate an ability to produce or oversee the production of technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements.You are experienced in undertaking project related tasks associated with health, safety and welfare, e.g. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations.
What you'll get in return
You'll be offered a competitive salary and an exceptional development and progression plan. There is also an extensive benefits package including Contributory Pension Scheme, 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays, additional Leave Purchase Scheme, healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers. You'll work with high profile infrastructure organisations, giving you the unique opportunity to bring ground-breaking work to life. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people's lives. You'll work in a growing team that is inclusive, open-minded and where your professional development can thrive.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.