Senior Engineer - Rail (Lineside, Bridges & Structures)
Senior Engineer 6+years post-graduate experience in Rail Design- York, Manchester or Derby
Your new company
A Consultancy service and part of a blue-chip corporate group, my client offers a client focused approach and value centred service across an array of asset portfolios including: road, railways and utilities networks to name but a few. From asset management, to advisory and design services they monitor the performance of the asset life cycle, it's operation and use.
In this instance my client is looking to add talent to their Rail Services sector, recruiting Senior Engineer(s) and above across a number of teams: Lineside, Bridges and Structures. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Senior Engineer (and above) will have the below essential experience, skills and qualifications:
- Applicants must be eligible to work and live in the UK; this opportunity is not offering sponsorship
- A minimum of 6yrs post-graduate experience in Civil Engineering railway design and construction.
- Desire to develop existing skills and acquire new technical competence to enhance team capability.
- A proven ability to work within a team environment, as well as lead and mentor junior professionals within the team
- You will be dedicated meet project deadlines.
- Comfortable with client facing elements of the role, including meetings, written correspondence and taking a technical lead where required.
- Ideally a Chartered Engineer via ICE or IStructE, or have a desire to become chartered in the near future..
- Significant experience in Contractor's Responsible Engineer (CRE)
- Strong knowledge of draughting and BIM software and steelwork and reinforced concrete detailing.
- Able to co-ordination the design process and lead a team through design processes
- Client focused approach to service delivery and project deadlines
Your new role
As Senior Engineer (Rail Design) you will lead a railway civil engineering design team, ensuring full compliance with all relevant technical standards, such as British Standards, Eurocodes, Network Rail Company Standards, Railway Group Standards, etc. Autonomously you will deliver of all the specified project outcomes on time, within budget and to the quality required. As a mentor and leader you will guide junior and Graduate Engineers through projects and assist in professional development and training. Maintaining excellent relationships is essential to the success of this role, this will include external stakeholders including clients, supply chain partners, contractors, sub-contractors, governing bodies and similar.
Key duties and tasks:
- Develop feasibility studies, outline and detailed designs in accordance with the Client's requirements and relevant design standards to achieve cost effective, buildable solutions, especially for complex projects.
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring of the budget for projects including the planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources and finances.
- Have extensive knowledge in relevant railway Group and Company standards, the GRIP process, British Standards, and Eurocodes, as well as relevant statutory processes.
- Guide CAD technicians in the development of design drawings, details, library of standard details etc.
- Provide guidance and mentorship in the use of appropriate technical / engineering and analysis software including Superstress, Scale and similar.
- Maintain, develop and improve good working relationships with the Client and other interested parties.
- Undertake a wide range of work on all aspects of the railway civil engineering infrastructure that fall within competence, including but not limited to, platforms, lineside equipment bases & structures, footbridges, over and under-bridges, buildings, etc.
- Undertake project planning, programming, cost control and administration; and associated reporting on delivery, resources and budget.
- Enter into detailed technical discussions with approval authorities, consenting bodies, Clients, Contractors, staff, Third Parties and other stakeholder groups, especially for complex projects.
- Check design calculations, contract documentation, drawings, technical documents and project reports complying with current standards.
- Attend internal and external project meetings, by representing Civil Engineering in multi-disciplinary projects; including attending meetings, liaising with supply chain and other third party organisations.
- Maintain high technical standards, consistent with the project brief.
- Ensure compliance with relevant health, safety and environmental legislation through the design and work stages, and lead by example with respect to Health, Safety, Welfare Environment and CDM.
- Undertake bidding, business development and client relationship management as required.
- Check effective, value for money and innovative design solutions.
- Develop and supervise, mentor and support a variety of project team members.
- Assist with competency appraisal processes subject to suitable level of supervision.
- Prepare and assist with the presentation of engineering options and solutions.
- Check feasibility studies, appraisal / assessment reports and other written documents.
- Check assessment calculations, design calculations and structural analysis.
- Check design concepts, design details, drawings, specifications and other technical documents.
- Hold the PTS competence, and be able to carry out site visits and surveys as per project requirements.
- Be prepared to be trained and discharge Responsible Manager duties for Safe Systems of Work planning etc.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with the Client and other relevant stakeholders.
- Complete performance appraisals with direct reports (if applicable) and provide learning and development opportunities where possible.
- Lead by example with respect to the Integrated Management System, especially the Project Execution Plan, Work Authorisation Form etc. and identifying and managing change.
- Identify and share best practice.
WHATS IN IT FOR YOU:
In addition to a wealth of autonomy, diversity in work such as TRU and large complex Rail Design projects, a leadership opportunity and continued professional development you will be joining a large diverse team of highly experienced and technically competent Civil Engineers. You will benefit from working with a well known and highly sought after employer of choice; they invest in their people and offer long-term career progress and diverse projects.
- 24 days holidays + bank holidays, with an option to buy additional holidays up to 5 days
- Pension scheme 6%
- Annual pay reviews
- Professional subscription paid (1 per year)
- Professional development with ICE
- They are currently successfully operating a Hybrid working environment which they envisage long term, however the successful appointment will be needed within catchment area and a reasonable commutable distance from the office, which is preferred in York, Manchester & Derbyshire will also be considered for too.
- A very competitive salary is on offer for the right individual
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.