Highways Design Manager
Highways Design Manager job near Nottingham. Salary competitive depending on your level of experience.
Your new company
A major employer in Nottinghamshire with a multi-skilled local workforce and a range of highly trained staff based at a number of different locations throughout the county. Their work includes highway maintenance, electrical works, construction, forestry, road safety and civil engineering. They combine a public-sector service ethos with a strong commercial focus and they are passionate about innovation and creating and delivering sustainable solutions safely across Nottinghamshire and the wider East Midlands.
Your new role
You will join the Major Projects & Improvements Team as a Design Manager where you will be responsible for leading a multi-disciplinary team of engineers providing a highway and civil engineering construction and design service. Your main responsibilities will be:
- To lead and co-ordinate, the planning and delivery of highway and civil engineering design of significant and complex projects, understanding company wide and third party dependencies, resource and technical requirements to contribute to the growth and development of the business.
- To plan recourse capacity, commitment and forward workflow in own team and working collaboratively across management roles within consultancy,to maximise productivity and achievement of customer expectations.
- To take responsibility for the coping, development and achievement of highway and civil engineering design services and projects to enable successful delivery of significant and complex projects, programmes both internally and externally.
- To provide expertise and manage the process of complex queries for internal and external stakeholders through resolution, taking account of professional liabilities, acting as escalation point across areas of team expertise.
- Manage, coach and develop a team of technical staff engaged in all aspects of service area to enable individuals to achieve their potential and deliver effective business result
- To lead, coach and develop all team members to achieve individual full potential and create a high performing team with knowledge skills and experience to meet business requirements.
- Hold team to account to comply with all statutory responsibilities including Health, Safety and Environmental, duties, polices and procedures to ensure standards are met to maintain a consistent and high quality professional service.
- Act as an ambassador across political, professional, business and community networks and events at local and regional level to maintain a positive company reputation, build relationship with third parties and promote internal expertise for business development.
What you'll need to succeed
You will have proven experience of managing a highway and civil engineering design service and experience of managing people and performance to create high performing individuals and team meeting stipulated KPI's
You can give examples of you experience of managing a portfolio of large scale highway and civil engineering projects and delivering all to projected delivery timescales as agreed with client/sponsor. You also have experience of financial management and budgetary monitoring spend to give confidence on delivery programme and out turn costs being to client satisfaction. You are a great influencer and communicator at a senior level within internal and external organisations. You hold a degree in civil engineering, or a related subject and post qualifications relevant experience, or equivalent knowledge gained through practical experience in a highway and/or civil engineering project management environment. You also have Membership of a relevant Professional Institution or evidence to demonstrate a commitment to continual professional development. Your strong ICT skills including Microsoft Office applications, highway design software and knowledge of data management environments will be crucial.
What you'll get in return
You will be offered a competitive salary and there is also an exceptional benefits package including include an excellent pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, buying and selling of annual leave and much more. This company is a great place to work if you value work-life balance. Employees enjoy generous annual leave allowances, with flexible working available to office-based staff. With the majority of work being based in the East Midlands, front-line staff also enjoy short journeys to site each working day. By joining this company you will be part of a growing organisation with great staff benefits that positively embraces customer and community aspirations.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.