Assistant Quantity Surveyor
Assistant Quantity Surveyor, Valleys to Coast Housing Association, Bridgend (South Wales), Permanent, £28,630
Your new organisation
Valleys to Coast are a not-for-profit organisation who provide and manage over 5,800 homes across Bridgend, they also provide management services to over 700 leasehold flats and have a portfolio of 50 shops and 1,100 garages
Your new role
You will work within the 'Major Improvement Works' team and report into the Quantity Surveyor providing general Quantity Surveying duties and Commercial Management of repairs and planned works such as;
Roof renewals worth £1.5m, EWI - £800k, kitchens and bathroom renewals - £800k, fire door replacements - £500k, voids - £1m, electrical/landlord supplies - £650k, ensuring that Valleys to Coast maintain their homes and estate to the highest standard.
You will also;
● Ensure that appropriate contracts are in place, are well managed and performing to support Valleys to Coast in delivering reactive repairs and major improvement works.
● Assist on the obtaining of tenders and quotations in accordance with their financial regulations and procurement procedures.
● Analyse tenders and quotations and make formal recommendations on the preferred option(s).
● Co-operate and work in partnership with colleagues in the Major Improvement Works team, Housing Repairs Service and across the organisation to ensure consistent delivery of successful projects in order to support the achievement of delivering projects on time and to the agreed budgets.
● Provide advice to the Major Improvement Works & Housing Repairs Service on contractual, valuation and measurement matters.
● Ensure budgets are managed appropriately and services delivered to a high standard.
● Actively involved in projects to ensure a high level of customer care is achieved through the team and contractors, all Health & Safety elements relating to works on site are well managed and continuous improvement is identified, reported and supported across the portfolio as a whole.
● Ensure that a high level of analysis and scrutiny is undertaken on the information gathered through contract management. Trends are analysed, improvements identified and implemented.
● Build up a cost library that can be used for establishing future budgets for major improvement works.
● Issue orders and authorising payments within delegated authority limits.
What you'll need to succeed
● Have a relevant professional qualification or substantial relevant experience.
● Demonstrate a thorough understanding of relevant forms of contracts in particular the JCT Intermediate and Minor Works forms.
● An understanding of Welsh Government Welsh Housing Quality Standards (desirable)
● Possess strong project management experience.
● Successfully develop and maintain strong relationships with internal colleagues and external stakeholders.
● Demonstrate the ability to manage and motivate contractors and consultants to deliver business objectives.
● Illustrate sound financial analysis abilities including working knowledge of options appraisal systems.
● Demonstrate excellent numeracy and analytical skills, with the ability to understand and interpret statistical and financial information, make informed judgements, appraise and manage risk and convey appropriate advice. ● Evidence ability to deliver results on time and to budget, achieving relevant KPIs.
● Demonstrate self-motivation with good personal organisation skills, able to manage conflicting priorities to meet deadlines.
● Possess strong report writing skills to help support effective decision making.
● Have the ability to demonstrate commercial acumen, business awareness and strong negotiation skills.
● Hold a full driving licence and have access to transport.
What you'll get in return
Salary £28,631, you will receive a minimum of 25 holiday days each year, plus extra days annual leave each year you are with V2C up to 5 years. You'll also receive the 8 days bank/public holidays. Basic pension contribution you pay 4% V2C pay 6% (can increase up to 8% match). Set up to work remotely where possible.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.