Surveyor job opportunity within Diocese of Manchester
Your new company
The Diocese of Manchester is the Church of England in Bolton, Bury, Leigh, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, and parts of Rossendale, Stockport, Tameside and Trafford.
With an extensive and varied portfolio of over 250 parsonages, as well as churches and small investment/commercial property, there is continuous need for reactive and planned maintenance, refurbishments and strategic acquisitions and disposals.There is an eclectic mix of buildings including listed buildings, passivhaus, empty and tenanted properties making this a diverse and unique portfolio that you’re unlikely to find anywhere else.
The post is located with the Property Team and the post holder will work closely with the Director and other specialist officers in the team. This includes the Buildings Officer who takes a lead on parsonage maintenance and inspections, and two Property Support Officers.
Your new role
This is a diverse role that is vital to the continued upkeep and development of the Diocese portfolio for the future. You’ll be working independently and collaboratively with the clergy and Third Party agencies to ensure the estates are kept in good condition and can contribute to their respective communities.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- To support the Director of Land and Property Services in the maintenance and repair as well as acquisition and disposal of property relating to the housing of the clergy;
- Liaise with Incumbents, PCCs, Archdeacons, other Diocesan Officers and the Church Commissioners on all matters relating to parsonages and other property as appropriate;
- To provide professional advice, in collaboration with the Buildings Officer, in relation to the routine work on parsonages and rented property, with particular reference to:
- Planned maintenance & reactive maintenance, refurbishment, re-decoration & emergency repairs
- Minor improvements and general upgrading of parsonages and other properties
- Provide technical advice, diagnose defects and schedule suitable remedial specifications
- Ensure statutory compliance in matters relating to gas safety testing, electrical safety, asbestos register and other statutory compliance across the diocese
- To advise and assist with rental properties, estate agents, landlords and tenants across the diocese
- Assist with the provision of Health and Safety advise in relation to property and the implementation of the CDM Regulations 2015
- To represent the Diocese when necessary, in attending meetings with the Church Commissioners, parishes or other bodies, on matters concerned with properties;
- To manage contracts with suppliers;
- To manage property related grant applications.
What you'll need to succeed
You must have a property related background, with good technical building experience. Ideally you will have good commercial acumen with a professional surveying and management background with demonstrable experience working on varied, diverse portfolio. You’ll need to be MRICS in order to support the legal compliance, health and safety and property team reports to the Diocese, and to manage any development or refurbishment work that is ongoing. Ideally you’ll have worked on listed buildings and/or ecclesiastical properties before, but this is not essential.
What you'll get in return
An opportunity to work on a diverse portfolio, handling all processes and transactions to do with properties in their lifecycle.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
Or, if you would like more detailed information before you apply, please visit our dedicated recruitment site: www.hays.co.uk/jobs/diocese-of-manchester