Principal Environmental Health Officer
Principal Environmental Health Officer required to act as first line manager to HMO Housing team of EHO's.
Your new company
This East London based public sector organisation is currently looking to recruit a Principal Environmental Health Officer to act as first line manager to their Health & Housing team within the Environmental Health and Trading Standards division.
The team are responsible for providing specialised services and technical advice relating to the work of Environmental Protection within Housing, where appropriate assuming and exercising delegated statutory authority whilst assisting in policy development and ensuring all tenancies are correctly managed.
Your new role
As a Principal Environmental Health Officer you will be responsible for using skills and techniques to carry out a programme of proactive and reactive functions which will contribute to raising the standards of Housing and Public Health within the borough. You be required to act as first line manager to the HMO housing team and manage the Unit within the Environmental Health and Trading Standards Service supporting the Team Leader and to deputise in their absence.
Additional responsibilities include:
* Ensure statutory responsibilities are properly and effectively discharged, on issues of Environmental Health specifically Housing functions and public health.
* Project manage, initiate, plan and manage campaigns in high priority Environmental Health areas, including the production and use of publicity material. Promote public and landlord education by devising and organising talks, presentations, displays, exhibitions to the public, schools, trade associations and other groups as necessary
* Provide specialist and professional advice and guidance to all service users including residents, consumers, traders and businesses on all environmental health matters
* Initiate and carry out enforcement and legal process functions in residential and commercial premises, including: prosecution, service of notices, without legal representation, apply for applications and execute warrants, necessitating the forced entry to business and residential premises.
* To initiate and undertake programmed and complaint inspections, surveys and investigations under all the relevant Environmental Health Legislation, including visiting sites alone and taking necessary action.
What you'll need to succeed
To be the successful candidate you will have a Degree or Diploma in Environmental Health and have experience as an Environmental Health Officer within Housing, able to show clear understanding of all of the above areas.
Have achieved EHRB accreditation and, where possible, hold the Assessment of Professional Competence or Assessment of Professional Development from the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health.
Excellent communication and organisation skills.
Experience of responding effectively to changing demands and priorities, meeting targets and deadlines and maintaining quality services essential.
Willing to work weekends with prior notice.
What you'll get in return
Competitive Market hourly rate
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.