Environmental Enforcement Officer
Environmental Enforcement Officer required in Central London for a public sector organisation.
Your new company
This Central London based public sector organisation is currently looking to recruit a Enforcement Officer to join their Enforcement team.
Reporting to the Contracts and Enforcement Area Manager.
Your new role
As an Enforcement Officer it is your responsibility to ensure by way of enforcement or persuasion, that the streets and other open land in the Borough are kept in a clean condition at all times, and are free from litter, staining, dumped waste, graffiti, and fly-posting. You are also responsible for ensuring that all highways in the Borough are free from obstructions of all kinds, including unlicensed tables and chairs, builders' materials, protruding and unsafe scaffolding, unlit skips, abandoned bicycles and A-boards (where policy dictates). The Enforcement Team are also responsible for monitoring and supervising the performance of the borough's recycling, refuse collection and street cleansing contractor, ensuring that all the requirements of the partnership contract and service specifications are met and the highest practicable standards of performance are attained by refuse and street cleansing operatives. Additional responsibilities of this role include:
* To detect and examine waste and litter placed unlawfully on the street or on open land, with a view to identifying the person and/or company responsible and taking appropriate enforcement action against them, and ensuring that the waste and litter is cleared away promptly
* To inspect and report on gullies, litterbins, paladin bins, and skips and to resolve problems encountered.
* To detect graffiti, fly-posting and unauthorised advertising with a view to identifying the person and/or company responsible and taking appropriate enforcement action against them, and removing the graffiti, fly-posting, and advertising either personally or by referring the matter to a suitable contractor.
* Carry out monthly Health, Safety and Welfare inspections of the demised premises in partnership with contract staff to assess compliance with health and safety standards, making recommendations for improvement and detailing any hazards.
* To detect the unlicensed erection of hoardings or scaffolding around building sites, and to detect the unlicensed depositing of skips or builders' materials on the highway; and to detect any breach of the conditions placed on any licences for such matters; all with a view to identifying the person and company responsible and taking appropriate enforcement action against them, and ensuring the removal or licensing of any unlicensed objects.
* To detect abandoned vehicles, bicycles, or other objects on the highway and to take such steps as may be necessary in law to ensure that they are removed
* To detect offences relating to dogs, including dog fouling, dogs without leads, and multiple dog-walking, with a view to identifying the dog owner giving such advice, or taking such enforcement action against them as may be appropriate.
* To detect unlawful street trading - including at Notting Hill Carnival, on Portobello and Golborne Markets, and at special events - and to detect any breach of relevant legislation or of the organisation's conditions for trading by a licensed street trader, giving such advice, or taking such enforcement action, as may be appropriate.
What you'll need to succeed
To be the successful candidate you will have detailed knowledge and understanding of the Criminal Justice System and be trained to carry out PACE interviews. You will have working knowledge of relevant legislation and powers (i.e. Environmental Protection Act 1990, Control of Pollution Act 1974, Highways Act 1980) and have a positive, motivated, 'can-do' approach to work.
You will hold a full UK driving license and be willing to work shift patterns including weekends and nights.
What you'll get in return
Competitive Market hourly rate
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.