Building Services Design Engineer Graduate
Building Services Design Engineer Graduate
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, technology and Engineering.
STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Our graduates join us in a permanent position, starting a real job from day one. Graduates enjoy two years of formal soft skills together with technical training and development, as well as a direct route to professional accreditation. STFC graduates have the opportunity to build on their degree, taking their understanding, knowledge and skills to a new level in a dynamic, creative, collaborative culture.
About the role
Estates Services is a diverse department providing professional Estates management to enable science. The department covers all aspects of Estates operations including managing the significant capital development programme, planned and reactive maintenance, asset replacement, site works projects and improvements. The Estates team consists of professional project managers, MEP design Engineers and core technical staff. The in house team is supported by 3rd party SME’s managed through service contracts.
As a member of STFC’s Estates and Facilities Management team, you will proactively support the Estates remit to deliver flexible, customer focused and efficient services that support the delivery of STFC’s vision, values and objectives. You will be responsible for the delivery of energy efficient Building Services design for STFC projects, which are compliant with current legislation for all new, remodelling and refurbishment projects and which also meets client/user requirements; to include overseeing the successful delivery of assigned works to programme and within allocated budget. You will engage with and consult with RAL stakeholders and connected third parties regarding M&E Projects, including the capture of the “brief”, interpretation of requirements and preparation of Valued Engineered specifications, with the aid of departmental and contracted construction professionals and other specialists.
This role will see you take on some supervisory responsibilities for projects, and managing externally appointed professional teams and contractors. Responsibilities will include:
- Working as part of a project design team, conceive and develop alongside Architects, Structural Engineers, Mechanical Engineers and Quantity Surveyors efficient and effective building services for in house building projects. Liaising and working with external consultants.
- Benefit from initially being involved in Mechanical and Electrical projects, with the ability to specialise later in the appointment.
- Carrying out all necessary building services system calculations.
- Undertake Project Management and Site Supervision to ensure that design and specification requirements are met and appropriate levels of quality achieved.
- As part of the management of the projects, actively ensure that accurate M&E project valuations are produced and communicated.
- Ensure that all project M&E record documentation is supplied and is accurate and implemented into the buildings H&S file.
- Provide general building services advice to clients and other disciplines.
- Proactively and strategically plan project activities to avoid impacting upon the scientific programme.
- Liaise with the client to interpret and define project requirements, scope and budget prior to works instruction.
- Prepare estimates, specifications and tender documents relating to Projects at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory.
- Instruct, implement and manage projects using NEC3 TSC and NEC3 ECC processes and protocols.
- Procurement and supervision of contractors with minimal impact to the site location, including works coordination, integration, Safety and Quality assurance.
- Ensure the Users acceptance and sign off the completion of Project works.
To be successful in the role you will have:
- Obtained first degree bachelors or Masters, (not doctorate) in a Building Services Discipline in either 2018 or be due to receive it in 2019.
- Expected or have achieved a 2:1 or above.
- The right to live and work in the UK.
- Good interpersonal skills, particularly in communication, negotiating networking and team building, motivation and problem solving.
- Good knowledge of UK building control and the application of current building regulations.
- Good knowledge in the development and application of BIM and GSL.
- Good ICT skills, including MS Office and CAD.
- Good time management skills.
- Able to work well within a team but also show excellent initiative alone and work independently.
How to apply:
Applications are handled by UK SBS; to apply please click the apply button. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.