Permanent Highway Inspector - Haringey Council.
Your new role
You will be responsible for all inspection activities related to the Highways Service. This will include carrying out a regular programme of inspections within a specified area; checking the quality and quantity of works being carried out by contractors and ensuring accuracy of invoices submitted for payment.
- You will be expected to work within assigned neighbourhood areas and provide cover in other neighbourhoods when necessary
- To inspect streets, logging and reporting defects on assets such as street furniture, carriageway surfaces and road gullies and raising jobs as necessary.
- To investigate reports of defects and complaints received from the public and other sources and raising remedial works where necessary.
- When insurance claims are received, to inspect the site concerned and prepare a report and discuss the claim with insurance representative and attend court as necessary.
- To act as the "Eyes and Ears" for the Council, ensuring that any matters affecting customer perception identified during inspections are referred to the appropriate team or Business Unit within the Council.
- To inspect all road closure gates on the public highway and replacing as necessary broken or missing padlocks, and reporting any other defects to the Team Leader.
- To use computer and hand held devices to support the delivery of reactive maintenance utilising the council's highway asset management system, GIS and other appropriate software
- To ensure prompt and clear responses to all forms of communications including complaints, e-mails, telephone calls and letters, from members of the public, Councillors, MPs, and other organisations
- Ensuring that where, during routine maintenance inspections, works by Utilities are identified, of which the Council have not been notified, relevant information is passed to the network team
- To ensure all defects are priced correctly using the appropriate schedule of rate items.
- To ensure all inspections are undertaken within the correct timescales to the appropriate standards as current council policy and guidelines.
- To be proactive in dealing with incidents, occurrences, hazards, defects etc which may compromise the health and safety or interfere with users of the public highway.
- To ensure that all gully cleansing work is completed to the required specification by the Council's contractor checking worksheets and inputting relevant data.
- To be responsible for providing performance management reports on highways activities within a specified Neighbourhood Area.
- To adhere to all council procedures including the council's constitution and decision making; financial procedures; standing orders; procurement; health and safety; public consultation; performance management; complaints, communication and consultation.
- To develop constructive relationships and effective communications with key people, both inside and outside the Council, including colleagues, contractors, councillors, partners and the public.
- To represent Haringey Council in a professional manner at all times.
- To deputise for the Highway Inspection Team Manager as and when needed.
What you'll get in return
- Achieve a pass grade on the city and guilds Highway safety inspection course - 6033, unit 301/311
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.