Undertake the duties and take responsibility and accountability for the Quantity Surveying activities in the delivery of a range of projects to meet our clients’ requirements and in line with industry standards.
Manage the flow of information relating to each project to ensure that project timescales are met and that cost information is up to date and relevant to the scope of the project.
The post holder will need to make day to day decisions to ensure the success of the projects and the wider capital programme and escalating risks and opportunity to the Programme Manager as appropriate.
Undertake duties in line with the Employers Agent role on appropriate projects
Ready for your next career step?
- To undertake the costing of feasibility studies and cost plans, including consideration of alternative delivery methods, site conditions, both onsite and offsite, all of which could affect the viability of a particular scheme. Liaison with external consultants and partners as appropriate.
- To review procurement routes available for each project to ensure that timescales are maximised. To advise on alternative routes of funding, and assist with bidding processes and business cases.
- Become a main part of the Project team and work alongside Project Managers for the betterment and cost control of all schemes. Work with the design team to coordinate the preparation of detailed tender documents to include all relevant information to ensure responses can be assessed in a comparative way. Review and collate tender documents for issue on electronic portal including preparation of bespoke Preliminaries, ERs and CSA documents. Provide pre-tender cost information to inform the client and stakeholders prior to tender submission.
- Follow up all tender enquiries and following submission undertake detailed tender analysis, providing reports to Project Managers and Stakeholder groups for decision making purposes. To manage post tender interviews and provide analysis, to include preparation of value engineering proposals and opportunity benefits.
- To prepare contract documentation using a range of contract types as required for the project, and to ensure these are suitably completed prior to any start on site. Ensure adequate Risk and Opportunity registers are suitably costed through the life of the project.
- Undertake on-site valuations in timely fashion to ensure the client meets its contractual obligations and payments are made appropriately. To undertake all necessary management of the financial process of the contract whilst on site, including the issue of variation and change control documents and final account analysis
- Undertake Post Occupancy Evaluations and Lifecycle cost analysis to ensure the end user is aware of the impact of the project.
- Provide assistance and undertake assessment of any delay claims or disputes with contractors. Take the lead on all aspects of financial matters relating to claims or disputes.
- To communicate in a confident, authoritative and assertive manner that is in line with established policies practices and priorities of the company and its clients and maintains and enhances its credibility. Be cognisant of the wider national initiatives and legislative requirements. Take responsibility for sharing and encouraging positive changes and best practice across the wider Capital Programme Delivery team.
Can we count on you? QUALIFICATIONS
- Educated to degree level in a building related field or equivalent and/or suitable building industry qualification commensurate with the post and/or significant building industry experience.
- Experience of working in a building industry environment in a managerial capacity commensurate with the post.
- Experience of multi-agency working within the building sector.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent financial and numerical skills. Sound interpersonal skills, both oral and written.
- Able to work on own initiative, taking responsibility for actions and decisions surrounding area of accountability.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and deliver best value results on behalf of client, challenging where appropriate
- Demonstrate sound decision making delivering positive yet sensitive outcomes, knowing when to escalate.
- Excellent organisational ability. Be innovative and a motivator.
- Able to use a range of Microsoft or similar packages including Word, Excel and Project to an advanced level.
- Substantial knowledge of quantity surveying practices. Including use of industry data and benchmarking indices
- Knowledge of RIBA Project Stages, BIM, Government Soft Landings, Modern Methods of Construction.
- Knowledge of managing a range of contract forms and varying project types.
VALUES & BEHAVIOURS
- Acting with integrity, honesty and transparency; healthy attitude to risk; welcoming and expecting change and evolving technology; working in new ways; willing to learn; working as a whole-Council and treating people fairly and with respect.
- Working collaboratively and innovatively to find new solutions that put the interests and wellbeing of customers first; open to challenge and actively encouraging and expecting contribution.
- Self-sufficient, taking personal and professional responsibility for our actions; looking for ways to save money; looking for commercial opportunities, focused on outcomes.